Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Publishing and movies

I got my own start in journalism nearly four years ago when I was hired as an editor for my community college newspaper. There I started writing movie reviews and watching a lot of film, a pastime that quickly became an obsession.

I gradually moved on taking different jobs working with newspapers until I landed myself in central Illinois working for a newspaper there, when I became desperately aware that I wanted to begin my own film journal.

Once I briefly entertained the notion of running my own publication, be it a magazine or online journal ... and now it seems that daydream is realized in so many ways. Scopophilia for me is a way to join the two things that I know the most about: film and journalism (or at least writing).

Getting Scopophilia going has been difficult, because learning HTML is completely different than laying out a newspaper page. But I fall back on the same basic skills I've developed over the years, such as editing, writing and creating eye catching images for the site. I've even been able to edit some photos for use in online publication, reharnising my to skills in toning photographs.

But it's been a fun experience so far. I hope to gain more and more experience with Scopophilia and I hope it continues to grow from it's humble beginnings into something that everyone in the film academic industry can appreciate.

So consider this the christening of Scopophilia, if only I had some champagne.

Tripp J Crouse
Scopophilia editor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home